Thursday, May 18

DAY THREE: Let's just say that this saltwater thing is not cool. It may be good for the colon, but it's bad for the spirit. Drinking 32 ounces is tough enough, but the longer you make it last, the more you have to go to the bathroom. Once the saltwater is down and the lemonade goes in, it's better, but it takes about forty-five minutes. At least it did today.

It took us a while to leave the house today, as a result, but we did manage to leave with extra lemonade on hand by one o' clock or so. Today we were focused on getting to the Salvador Dali musuem, which was just as wonderful as I remembered, though slightly emptier than I remembered. This time I opted for the "docent" (such a silly word) tour, which turned out to be quite helpful. She told us that whenever there is a hurricane on the way, all the pieces have to be removed, crated, and put in a safe place. Last year must have been hell on them. They're on the gulf side of Florida in St. Petersburg. Also, there was a full themed exhibit happening, about Spanish artists, which was pretty cool. The "master works," so called for the amount of time and their size, were all there and they were extradordinary. There was some further insight into "The Hallucinogenic Toreador," such as Dali seeing a box of pencils with the Venus de Milo on them and seeing the bull fighter in her torso. Also, there is a double image of spots and a dalmation dog that I never knew was in the painting. Very interesting how Dali saw life.

After the musuem, we were off for another bit of reminiscing, a view of the Don Cesar, which I also saw when I was last in Florida with my friend Laura. The Don is still as magnificent as ever, and just as salmon colored pink as it was. I don't know why it is so wonderful, it's just a big, dumb hotel, but I think its bold color really sets it apart, as well as the fact that there's only one just like it in the world.

We spent the rest of the afternoon lounging on the beach. It wasn't until we got desperate for a bathroom that we headed towards that big pink castle in the sky. We wandered onto the deck and found a messy bathroom and the prepartion of a buffet for a private party. Oh, the guacamole alone could have sent me over the edge, but the smell of meat cooking and wafting over the pool was too much to bear.

We drove back and went to the TJ Maxx to return some things and peruse the clearance section. Marilyn managed to do what she does best and find about a dozen things that were perfect for me, and a dozen more that she thought were perfect and I didn't.

We then came home and made our own version of the lemonade, in the blender. We are really sick of not eating and fantasized about food all day. The funniest thing Marilyn has said, "I would even lick a dorito, just a lick would be enough for me!"

I have been chewing gum whenever I feel hungry and there's no more lemonade in my shaker bottle. The chewing motions seem to make me pyschologically feel better.

I'm sure there will be more to report tomorrow. We just reread the journal entries of this girl on the web that has done The Master Cleanse, and she said there are solid toxins due to arrive any day now...solid toxins...eeeeewwww.

3 Comments:

At 5/19/2006 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm thinking the saltwater makes you have to go to the washroom so badly because the salt concentrations in the water would, more or less, cause your body and its cells to force all of the extra liquid it had in its system into your digestive track in a futile attempt to dilute the salt water to the point where it matched the normal salinity of the body. Go osmosis!

Which is, of course, why you never drink sea water.

 
At 5/19/2006 12:18 PM, Blogger stine said...

Thanks Miss Science!

 
At 5/19/2006 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One day, when you're drifting around on a lifeboat at sea, you'll think back to this comment and thank me. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home