Tuesday, May 16

Day One

I thought it might be funny to keep a journal of the cleansing process:

Travel Day: On our way to Florida. A stopover in Hot-Lanta! (Atlanta) leaves us hungry and considering the next twelve to fourteen days of no actual food, so we are forced to consume what amounts to our last meal, a tray of chicken, biscuits, and fries from Popeye's. We then feel an urge to have ice cream after watching several svelte Hot-lantans slurping it up. A Ben and Jerry's is only twenty feet away. Not surprisingly, we feel listless and tired, we sleep the whole way on the plane and then take a nap for five hours after we arrive. No sign of gators either.

At nearly one a.m. we prepare for our cleanse by having an herbal laxative tea. No strange loosening things to report, though we brewed it weaker per the directions, so that could be why.

DAY ONE: We wake up late this morning feeling refreshed and it actually feels like a vacation until the consumption of beverages is upon us. We are to consume a quart of saltwater each, then ten ounces of what amounts to a fresh lemonade. The saltwater is pretty gross...a sickly taste of chicken soup, and then we prepare the lemonade thinking it will be more grossness. Surprisingly, what sounds like a bad grandmotherly southern folk receipe for lemonade (fresh squeezed lemon/lime juice, water, maple syrup, cayenne to taste [to taste?]) tastes pretty good. We drink it up in no time and we are pleased with ourselves.

Somehow, the fact that Marilyn's dad makes himself a big breakfast of eggs, bacon, toast, doesn't phase us. We are ready to do the cleanse and we won't be deterred by the smell of real, though not good for us, food.

no sign of gators, even though the family lives near a large natural preserve with pond.

We're planning on seeing a movie today and taking two more doses of the lemonade with us--all in all we must drink six ten ounce glasses per day--and I am excited to see the new Betty Page movie and Art School Confidential. We plan to sneak into one of the movies, and again, it still feels like a vacation, which is great, because I was very concerned that the vacation aspect would be lost somehow in the cleansing shuffle. But, it is only day one.

5 Comments:

At 5/16/2006 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh... I'm assuming that the gator attacks are just as over-hyped as the "omg the sharks are attacking!" thing was last summer.Having said that, I'd feel pretty bad if you lost a leg to one. :)

And I think I read about some person drinking that stuff for a week in a time out article at the beginning of this year. It didn't sound entirely awful, but if I'm not going to eat, I think I'd want to raise some money for charity or something at the same time.

 
At 5/17/2006 2:04 PM, Blogger stine said...

yeah, I suppose we're just selfish bastards.

and the gator thing is pretty huge news here...with good reason. three killings in a week?! I'm staying away from fresh water and Tampa!

 
At 5/17/2006 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I didn't mean it in that sort of way. The only time I've intentionally went without food was for this "30 hours famine" thing in high school to raise money for Worldvision or somesuch. It was once a year, and it wasn't horrible, but I usually felt pretty rough by hour thirty. I was just thinking of what a boon it could be if you used ten days for a selling point, rather than a day and some change.

 
At 5/18/2006 12:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what's up with the cleansing thingy anyways ? jus becareful you don't end up in a hospital, with heat stroke and malnurished. that's alot to do with trying to adjust to that heat there. jus becareful darlin'. while i'm here i gonna say hello that that hot chick beth. hello u lil hottie u, beth. hope ya don't mind me callin' ya a hottie or stine, i hope u don't mind me saying that on you page. anywho. you all stay well and happy . love ya darlin' enjoy your trip. they are nuttin' like trips, i used to take. (lol)

 
At 5/18/2006 8:46 AM, Blogger stine said...

daddy you are too old to be so rascal-y.

and supposedly the lemonade has all the nutrients I need. I was actually worried about being "malnourished" because I tend to get dizzy and agitated if I don't eat something. So it's amazing that hasn't really happened yet, except for one time when I had gone three hours without drinking the lemonade.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home